Monday 14 July 2014

Non-Alcoholic Beverages

I know what you're thinking when you look at the title of this post (yawn, where's the party at) because it's probably what I would be thinking too. BUT..it's a Monday evening, you've probably done some drinking this weekend, and your bank and body probably aren't thanking you for it.

Now at Gourmet Student Grub, we are all about looking after our bodies and our banks (most of the time) so I thought I'd provide you with some great non-alcoholic beverage ideas that don't damage either.

Just as a side note, I can never promote enough the great detoxing effects of just plain water (tap water is fine). I'm not going to lie I tend to either down too much or don't drink any at all, so I know that being dehydrated sucks and feeling hydrated and full of beans feels pretty damn good. Just a thought.

Non-Alcoholic Pimms

I discovered this bizarre alternative in Tesco one day, when an old lady -upon seeing a bottle of Pimms in my trolley- suddenly grabbed my arm and questioned whether I knew of the non-alcoholic version. After my startled response of 'no, I don't think so', she proceeded to tell me the story of a barbecue she once cooked for her daughter's family and how her daughter's suggestion of an alcohol-free option led her to research this. Apparently 'no-one could taste the difference!'; Tesco is a mad world on Sunday afternoons I tell you.

Although there is many non-branded alternatives to Pimms (I've heard Aldi is the best for taste and cost), any alcohol is fairly expensive, and so if you're not planning on getting absolutely mortal (day drinking never ends well) this is a great idea. 

Ingredients (makes 1 jugful)

4 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 bottle of Lemonade
Loooads of Ice
Strawberries, cucumbers, mint etc to garnish





Wack the vinegar into the bottom of your jug (or whatever vessel you've chosen) and then fill up with lemonade and add the ice and garnish.

The garnish is mainly to replicate how a normal jug of Pimms is served but this is obviously up to you and how much effort is being put into its appearance.

Ice is important! No-one likes a lukewarm beverage and ice is free (if you're clever and already have an ice cube tray) so get freezing!




Gunners

This does contain alcohol, but in such a minuscule amount that it would take you many, many moons to get even remotely tipsy on it (akin to a Shandy beer but with even less alcohol).

This is a drink my Dad always likes to make, especially as a refreshment in the middle of a game of tennis, and so in my childhood naivety I assumed he had invented it himself. However, upon seeing him order one whilst out at a pub I realised my mistake and that it is actually quite a well known drink, although more so for his generation.

It's simple, refreshing and costs nearly nothing to make. The minimal alcohol is provided by Angostura bitter which in itself is quite expensive (£10 for 20cl) but will last you centuries as you only use a couple of drops of it per jugful.




Ingredients (makes 1 jugful)

1 bottle of Lemonade
1 bottle of Ginger Beer
4/5 drops of Angostura Bitters
Ice ice baby




I would suggest pouring about half of the lemonade and ginger beer into your jug (as long as they are equal amounts it's fine) and then adding the drops of Angostura (you can always add more for more zing factor).

Again, ice is important so make sure you've got a decent amount already frozen.

As I said before, this drink is deliciously refreshing. It's for those moments when you would rather pour the ice over you than put it in the drink (n.b put it in the drink otherwise this whole drinks making thing is pointless).





Lime and Soda

My final tip is this particular drink -not to make- but for when you are out at a pub and don't feel spending much dollar, but still want something more exciting than just tap water.

Ask for a half pint of lime and soda water and it will be free, I mean it, absolutely blooming free. I know, it's crazy right? It's tasty, refreshing, and a whole lot more zingy than water so a great choice for those alcohol-free nights (they're rare I know).



Complimentary tune: Pacific Air - Float (Mountain of Youth Remix) a little chilled out tune to compliment a summer evening and a nice glass of non-alcoholic substance

Tip of the day: Lucozade is something I'd absolutely swear by as a hangover cure. It replenishes all those electrolytes that you've lost over the course of the evening and hydrates you all in one, thereby curing any nausea or migraine. Trust me.

---C

No comments:

Post a Comment